When you couple the knowledge found in these 50 books below with my two words for 2018 (Curiosity and Efficiency) I give myself an A+ in intellectual academia and a B- in the actual embodiment of what I learn. It's challenging for me to get out of my head and into my body, especially when I intellectualize and philosophize about life and business as my default mode.
I do not watch television (I immediately fall asleep) and I rarely drink, so reading is my way to “relax” at the end of a day or the start to my morning. Relaxing for me is intellectual stimulation. And it's fueling the research for my next book.
Here is a list of the fifty books I read in 2018 (Note: All links below are referral links. Please consider purchasing through these links. Thank you!)
- Amusing Ourselves to Death, by Neil Postman (I read this in Grad school and recently reread it – classic!)
- Simple & Direct: A Rhetoric for Writers, by Jacques Barzun (I also read this in Grad school and regularly pull it off my bookshelf. Then I end up reading the entire thing again! #booknerdproblems)
- KNOWN by Mark Schaefer (I interview Mark on my podcast here).
- An Audience of One by Srini Rao (I interview Srini on my podcast here).
- This is Marketing by Seth Godin (I interview Seth on my podcast here).
Business and Leadership:
- Principles: Life and Work by Ray Dalio (mentioned in my interview with Seth Godin here)
- Willpower Doesn’t Work by Benjamin Hardy
- The Mind of a Winner by Steve Canal (I interview Steve here)
- The 12 Week Year by Brian P. Moran and Michael Lennington
- Superintelligence: Paths, Dangers, Strategies by Nick Bostrom
- The Fourth Age: Smart Robots, Conscious Computers and the Future of Humanity by Byron Reese (I interview Byron Reese here)
- Tech Gnosis: Myth, Magic and Mysticism in the age of Information by Erik Davis (stay tuned…I'm interviewing Eric in an upcoming podcast episode!)
Humanity and Relationships:
- Evolutionary Love Relationships by Andrew Harvey
- Not Nice: Stop People Pleasing by Dr Aziz Gazipura
- UNHIDDEN: A Book for Men and Those Confused by Them by Robert Kandell (I interview Robert on my podcast here).
Business and Money:
- Antifragile: Things That Gain from Disorder by Nassim Taleb
- The Soul of Money: Transforming Your Relationship with Money and Life by Lynne Twist
- Quantum Success: The Astounding Science of Wealth and Happiness by Sandra Anne Taylor
- Spiritual Cashflow: A Story on Sex, Money, and Enlightenment by Steven E Schmidtt
- The E-Myth Revisited by Michael Gerber
- Spent: Sex, Evolution, and Consumer Behavior by Geoffrey Miller
- Trip: Psychedelics, Alienation, and Change by Tao Lin
- When: The Scientific Secrets of Perfect Timing by Daniel Pink
- Meditations and Other Metaphysical Writings by René Descartes
- Trump and a Post-Truth World by Ken Wilber
- Radical Wholeness: The Embodied Present and the Ordinary Grace of Being (I interview Philip Shephard in my podcast here).
- A Brief History of Everything by Ken Wilber (reread)
- The Truth Always Rises by Molly McCord (I interview Molly here).
- Power of Silence by Carlos Castaneda
- Seven Sacred Seals by Richard Rudd (I interview Richard Rudd here)
- The Gene Keys by Richard Rudd (reread)
- Becoming Supernatural by Joe Dispenza
- The Surrender Experiment by Michael Singer
- Power vs. Force by Doctor David Hawkins (this one wins the award for my favorite book of 2018!)
- The Autobiography of a Yogi by Paramahansa Yogananda
- The Yoga Sutras of Patanjali – translation and commentary by Sri Swami Satchidananda (reread).
- The Four Agreements (reread)
- The Bhagavad Gita (reread)
- The Varieties of Religious Experience by William James (mentioned in my interview with Dr. Loretta Breuning)
Discrimination and Racism:
- Between the World and Me by Ta-Nehisi Coates
- White Fragility by Robin DiAngelo (mentioned in my interview with Andréa Ranae here).
- Crow with No Mouth by Ikkyū
Occult and Mysticism:
- Behold a Pale Horse by William Cooper
- John Dee and the Empire of Angels by Jason Louv
Food and Wellness:
- The Third Plate: Field Notes on the Future of Food by Dan Barber
- Plant-Based Diet for Beginners by Heather Nicholds
- The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up by Marie Kondo
- An American Marriage by Tayari Jones (recommended to me by Bob Lefsetz who I interviewed here).
- Moonglow by Michael Chabon
- The Book of Joan by Lidia Yuknavitch
How to Change Your Mind by Michael Pollan
Want more book recommendations or to know what I'm up to?
Subscribe to my email newsletter here:
Got a great book recommendation? Send me a note and let me know what I should read next:
hello (at) jessicaannmedia (dot) com.
Note: Audible is offering all listeners of my podcast a free-30 day trial when you sign up through this link.